Lime and chicken soup with avocado
Makes 6 servings.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin
3 medium limes—2 cut in half, 1 cut into 6 wedges for garnish
1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed, chopped
1 medium avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic for 6 minutes or until tender. Add whole chicken breast, corn, tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, oregano and cumin to pot. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Over high heat bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 55 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast to large platter and shred using two forks. Return chicken to soup.
- Over strainer to catch seeds, squeeze juice of 2 limes into soup. Add cilantro and gently stir.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top each bowl with avocado, garnish with lime wedge and serve.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 280 calories, 12g total fat (2.5g saturated fat), 20g carbohydrates, 26g protein, 5g dietary fiber, 450mg sodium.