Japanese-style beef and noodle soup
Makes 4 servings.
4 ounces shiitake mushroom stems, rinsed (remove caps and set aside, or substitute dried shiitake mushrooms)
1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 2 to 3 cloves)
1 stalk lemongrass, crushed (or the zest from 1 lemon; use a peeler to grate a thin layer of skin off a lemon)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
For meat and vegetables:
1 bag (12 ounces) frozen vegetable stir-fry
4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, rinsed and quartered
8 ounces udon or soba noodles (or substitute angel hair pasta), cooked
1 pound lean beef top sirloin, sliced very thin
4 ounces firm silken tofu*, diced
¼ cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced thin
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for broth, except soy sauce, in a medium-sized pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the broth through a fine wire colander, and discard the solid parts. Season to taste with soy sauce.
- To finish the soup, bring the broth back to a boil. Add the thawed vegetable stir-fry mix and mushroom caps, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the noodles and continue to simmer for another minute.
- Add the beef and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the beef is slightly pink to brown (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees).
- Add tofu and scallions, and simmer 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately in 1-cup portions.
*Tip: There are several varieties of tofu, each with a different moisture level. Silken and soft tofu are the moistest and are easily blended into shakes, dips and dressings. Regular tofu is less moist, and it's best for scrambling or using like cheese in casseroles. Firm, extra-firm and pressed tofus are the driest. They absorb other flavors easily and hold their shape in stir-fries and on the grill.
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 325 calories, 8g total fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 28g carbohydrates, 36g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 285mg sodium, 882mg potassium.
Source: National Institutes of Health